Wednesday, August 10, 2005

What the Butler Saw



"Boys cannot be put in the club. That's half their charm."

Still my favourite play. Ever. Even in a mediocre, village hall production at the Hampstead Theatre.

Only Orton could destroy society using the Aristotelian unities of Time, Place and, uh, the other one, doing Euripides' Bacchae as written by Readers' Digest.

It's still the funniest, weirdest thing ever written, and it's still shocking. Samantha gasped out loud. "Does he have to use the word 'Rape' so much?" she demanded in the interval, "And does it have to be quite so funny?"

And grubby ex Adam would do well to remember the admonishment of Mrs Prentice to the naked blackmailing bellboy: "When I gave myself to you the contract didn't include cinematic rights."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw a Theatre Group production of this in my last year at university. It had narrowly beaten my project, Party, as the play to be produced that term, so I went into the audience with a certain amount of prejudice, but I honestly don't think I've ever laughed so much or so loudly in my life - 'twas brilliant!

Skip said...

God - you're right about Mrs Slocombe. But it's actually that woman from 2.4 children. And she plays the part like a feeble Mrs Thatcher impression.

Annoying - now, the production starring Prunella Scales and Timothy West. Or the one starring Richard Wilson and David Tennant - now they were amazing.